My grandmother use to do this and I thought it was weird, because my mom never did this.. but, she put peanut butter in the fridge. It made it harder to spread but, my grandmother swore it kept fresh longer. My grandmother also didn’t put her butter in the fridge – which I know alot of people don’t… So, let’s talk about this… in the Shreveport area — are we putting our peanut butter in the fridge or not?
Here’s what people throughout the ArkLaTex said about what goes in the fridge — and what doesn’t go in the fridge!
1. Mayonnaise: 98% say it belongs in the fridge, 2% say the pantry is fine.
2. Eggs: 90% say they belong in the fridge, 10% say the pantry is fine. (It’s common in Europe and other countries for eggs to be left unrefrigerated . . . but those countries vaccinate their chickens against salmonella… and American chickens aren’t vaccinated, so best to just keep them in the fridge to be safe)
3. Pesto: 90% say it belongs in the fridge, 10% say the pantry is fine.
4. Pickles: 89% say they belong in the fridge, 11% say the pantry is fine.
5. Mustard: 87% say fridge, 13% say pantry.
6. Ketchup: 86% say fridge, 14% say pantry.
7. Butter: 77% say fridge, 23% say pantry.
8. Soy sauce: 57% say fridge, 43% say pantry.
9. Apples: 44% say fridge, 56% say pantry.